How to Make:
- Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place chicken on a board, breast-side down, and cavity facing towards you. Using kitchen scissors, cut along both sides of backbone and discard. Open up chicken and turn over. Press down with heel of hand to flatten.
- Using a sharp knife, make 1 or 2 slits through thickest part of chicken thighs and breast. Combine garlic, lemon rind, olive oil, oregano and half the chilli in a small bowl. Place chicken in a large glass or ceramic dish. Rub garlic mixture all over chicken. Season with pepper. Cover, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and remaining chilli in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a barbecue grill on medium. Season chicken with salt. Cook chicken, skin-side down, for 5 minutes or until skin is crisp and golden. Turn chicken. Cook, with barbecue lid closed, for 30 to 35 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes. Cut chicken into portions. Drizzle with dressing. Serve with tomato salad and lemon halves.
Time for preparing:40 min. PT40M
- 1.6kg Steggles whole chicken
- 6 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 3 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 red birdseye chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sliced tomato salad, to serve
- Lemon halves, to serve